Thursday, June 24, 2010

Extortion in the name of Recruitment

Yesterday, I received a call to come for an interview for Information Technology teachers at a basic school. The person who called asked me to bring along a hard copy of my CV, two passport pictures and an amount of GHc10 for registration. Ah? What? Repeat the requirements please.

  • CV
  • Two passport pictures
  • GHc10
Spintex, Community 18 was the venue at 8am on the 24th of June 2010. As a matter of principle, I don't give money in order to be offered a job. Hello... I only pay for courses or programs that I want to attend. The advertisement asked for Information Technology teachers for a basic school, not people who are interested in accessing the service of a recruitment firm. From what I have heard of recruitment firms in Ghana, I am not sure I want to subscribe to one in my job search (at least not till I get some basic facts right). Some firms charge as much as 30% to 50% of the salary you get when they are able to secure a job for you (I hear); either part-time or full-time for a duration of three months or more.

So I told the gentleman who called me that I can't make it. "Is it on account of the money?", he asked. I told him it was a matter of principle and I don't think it was right to take money under the pretense of a job vacancy.  
What say you?